Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Academics and money

I debated about whether to link to this article on academics and money, but then I figured that everyone has been so cheerful lately that you all can stand it. The article focuses on academic salaries in high-cost housing markets; what I like about it is that it gives some examples (albeit some extreme ones) of real people making real choices. (The article is behind the CHoHE firewall, so you will need to access it on campus.) I also like the point that is made (briefly) in the article that what academics are experiencing regarding the purchasing power of their salaries is part of a larger middle-class phenomenon.

Meanwhile, the ever-sensible Mel over at In Favor of Thinking has this response to the article and her own finances.

4 Comments:

Blogger rachel said...

Personally, I was not cheerful enough to assimilate this happily. Maybe just me.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can access the Chronicle from off-campus by looking it up in Euclid and following links to the publisher. You'll have to authenticate with your netid and pwd.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Michael E. said...

I'll try to find something more cheerful next time, maybe about our summer idleness.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I think Prof. Bauerlein already covered the summer idleness in what you previously posted, Michael.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home