Friday, November 16, 2007

A Bird's Eye View of the Department

Piggy-backing off of Brian's work with Google Maps, I thought it might be useful/interesting to work up a visual representation of the department's geography.

This map shows the geographic origins of the past five cohorts of grad students. (Because I took the info from back issues of Loose Canons, current first-year students are not included):
Green: 06-07
Red: 05-06
Blue: 04-05
Teal:03-04
Yellow:02-03

This one shows where these same students earned their degrees.

And this one highlights where and when our esteemed faculty received their doctorates (or MFAs):
Blue: 2000s
Red: 1990s
Green: 1980s
Teal: 1970s
Yellow: 1960s

I wanted to make a map of the institutions at which faculty taught before coming to Emory, but that information apparently is locked away in the same briefcase that contains the country's nuclear lauch codes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Brilliant work, Shawn. It would be interesting to sit down and run this information through Exhibit.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Michael E. said...

I love this, Shawn. The student maps are especially nice at showing our program's range.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This is interesting!

My place of origin is a little off, though. I am from Richmond, not Alexandria. I always wondered how that got into Loose Canons...

2:21 PM  
Blogger rachel said...

Huh, that is funny; mine is of too. I'm not exactly sure if I've ever been to Mt. Pleasant PA.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Well, I'm certainly not from Provo, UT. But that IS where I did my undergrad. That's about as good as it gets when you've been a military brat.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Shawn McCauley said...

Weird. I think they may have just gone with whatever mailing address we were using while going through the application process. That still doesn't explain Rachel's situation, though. If you want, email me the correct info or post it here and I'll make the necessary corrections.

I also forgot to add the 5th and 6th-year students to the BA/MA map, but will do so when I get a chance.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home