Monday, November 12, 2007

100 great American novels you've (probably) never read

So I noticed this book listed among the new ones the library has purchased, and I managed to find the table of contents online. Turns out that Karl Bridges is wrong. I've read 2.08 of these novels: Charles Johnson's Oxherding Tale (thank you, quals), Frank Norris's McTeague (thank you, orals), and the first chapter or so of Neal Stephenson's Big U (thank you, obsession and enabler brother).

I obviously have a ways to go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael E. said...

You've also read Ceremony, as I recall. (I think that's one of the oddest selections for the list, since so many people have read that.

12:03 PM  
Blogger rachel said...

Wow. Aside from the same book that I "read" for Quals, I haven't read any of these. I am the target audience for this book.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Professor Brady said...

This may count as the first time that 2 sentimental novels -- Sedgwick's A New-England Tale and Warner's The Wide, Wide World -- have been designated as "great American novels." Wowza.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

You're right. I missed Ceremony. That's so odd that it's on there.

And I hadn't even noticed that some of the books came from so early in the nineteenth century.

I personally recommend that we reinstate the quals and that we use this as the list.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I said "probably" to allow for the statistical probability that someone somewhere has read some (or all) of these books.
Aside from not liking my choice of "Ceremony" -- OK, in hindsight maybe it is well read -- did you like the book? Did you find it well-written and well-organized?

Karl Bridges
karl.bridges@uvm.edu

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home