Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Literary Social Networking

Sarah pointed me to this entry on (Emory alum) Jason Jones's blog. This strikes me as a fantastic idea, particularly in light of conversations about 'meeting students where they are' and implementing the technology we know they are using.

So, I wanted to share the idea, but I also wondered if anyone has thoughts about implementation. Does it seem more useful to ask students to do this with fictional characters or with authors? The creation of a social network for a group of historically-distant authors seems, to me, an interesting way to work on the idea of a literary culture. Similarly, forcing characters (from different texts?) into "conversation" with each other seems provocative, if artificial. Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

This seems like a really incredible idea that you could do interestingly in many different courses. I personally think that it would work best with characters of a novel or the characters of the novels one is reading in a class. Authors seems more difficult--especially in contemporary literature or in medieval/early modern.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This does sound like a great idea. I agree with Brian that it would probably work best with fictional characters. In the class I'm teaching this semester I had a short creative writing assignment in which students gave voice to a marginal character from _Wide Sargasso Sea_ (e.g. Christophine or Tia) and wrote a short narrative from that character's point of view. The students LOVED this assignment and wanted to know what everyone else wrote. From this experience, I think students would like posting this type of assignment to an interface that would create shared content.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home